Wednesday 28 November 2012

Mapping legio XX Valeria Victrix

I seem to remember promising something along these lines a while back (probably quite a while back). Inscriptions searchable through the EDH and Clauss-Slaby databases have for some time been geolocated. In this era of easily accessible online global mapping it has to be the way forward. Updating my database of inscriptions with latitude and longitude was the easy part, but I never quite found the right way to present them (it still might not be quite right way, but here we go). However, I do rather like the Imperium tile set created by the Pelagios Project, so here is a first attempt at putting some of this information on a map (or use the link in the sidebar).


Too many coincident points at some places (eg Chester!) for this to truly work; some inscriptions refer to people known from other sources to have served with the legion and are not particularly informative in themselves; I will find a better marker symbol eventually (or revert to something stansdardised)... The list of what is wrong with this goes on, but for now I hope it demonstrates the geographical range of the dataset reasonably well.

[NB If you're accessing this through the lexioxx.org.uk website then you may need to clear your cache, or refresh the sidebar (if your browser allows). And, yes I know, nobody uses frames anymore... given that I only really update this through blog entries these days, I'm afraid I have felt little impetus to rebuild the site from the ground up.]

No comments:

Post a Comment